Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Juniper tree dining table

 The Table has a simple Tung Oil finish and will need to be re-oiled probably every other year. The whole table is wedge and weight secured and breaks down flat, and is easy to move once disassembled.
 I crushed Jade and Jasper rocks in a blender and inlaid the CA glue and crumble mix  into pockets then sanded down.
 I made a steam box and formed this tongue strip of black walnut into the circle trough. All the bow-tie inlays joints are Black Walnut also. I used this table as a stitch joint testing/practice ground. As you can see it needed a lot to prevent further cracking.
 Juniper is one of the oldest tree species and has a lot of interesting qualities. It is very unpredictable to work with. Rocks will get lodged in the wood as it grows and warping is extreme. Not the most desirable table top material but I was determined. I also learned recently that many Juniper tree berries have a natural yeast on their skin that may be used as a yeast extract in making bread! I ate some ;P
 The legs and frame are western maple which is a much more workable wood.
 Completely Hand Hewn cherry log bottom stretcher. I plan to do a lot more hand hewing projects!
This Table was a long term project. I started during my second year at OCAC and finished a year later. It took so long because of relocating and the extensive inlays. Its a great smelling wood similar to cedar.

No comments:

Post a Comment